SeeMobiles.Forumactif.Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SeeMobiles = Mobiles phone, News, Software, Themes, Free call and Games, Free sms ...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Maemo - The missing phone features?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Maemo - The missing phone features? Empty
PostSubject: Maemo - The missing phone features?   Maemo - The missing phone features? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 9:22 am

As far as I can tell, the N900 (and by inference, following Maemo phones?) seems to be missing some basic phone things:
A J2ME environment to run Java MIDlets (e.g. Opera Mini, AmazeGPS, AT&T Navigator, Audible Book Reader, etc?)
MMS (though Nokia have said this might be coming later)
Some Bluetooth profiles such as DUN (for tethering internet connections w/computers and other devices)

On the surface, it would seem to me that they are doing an iCopy? What's next? Applications can only be installed from a single APT Store? You'll need to "red-pill" (jailbreak) to get more?

Ansewer of konceptz :

A J2ME environment to run Java MIDlets (e.g. Opera Mini, AmazeGPS, AT&T Navigator, Audible Book Reader, etc?)
-It's a linux system.

MMS (though Nokia have said this might be coming later)
-Looks like a threaded MMS/Email/Txt program similar to conversations.

Some Bluetooth profiles such as DUN (for tethering internet connections w/computers and other devices)
-On the N810 there are bluetooth profiles for internet connection, though that's a client and not a server. I can't imagine it will be long/hard for something to be written.

If you're really interested in learning about Maemo, check out the following over at talk.maemo.org and check out the OS tab for Maemo 6(Harmatten).

Also keep in mind that programs from previous versions should already work, or be quickly(relatively) converted to work on Maemo6.

Finally, take your time and enjoy the learning curve
Back to top Go down
https://seemobiles.forumactif.com

Maemo - The missing phone features?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SeeMobiles.Forumactif.Com :: Manufacturer Discussion :: Nokia :: Maemo-
Jump to: